Thursday, March 26, 2009

Colors Sketch, orange and purple, of BB for Creative Every Day

It's not April yet, but I was reading about "the totally optional theme for April" at Creative Every Day. The themes for April is COLORS and one of the suggestions was to try using colors you don't usually use. I use all the colors "as I need them," but rarely start out with orange
or purple and probably use those two colors less than others, so I decided to do a sketch of BB in orange and purple--which I did, last night. Today, I added white and black. Of course I realize now that orange is not that far from skin tones and purple is a good shadow color, so with the addition of black for pupils (the purple was too pale) and white for his beard (the purple was too dark), it gives a reasonable representation. Of course, I could have used paler and paler and darker and darker shades of orange and purple, but did not. I will probably, time allowing, play with this some more.

I did this on photoshop on my Mac using my Cintiq tablet and Wacom pen from life, with BB sitting on the couch falling asleep last night before I left for my sleep study. I had to request that he open his eyes. LOL! I did it very hastily because I only had about 20 minutes before I had to leave. This morning I just added the white and black.

6 comments:

Rowena said...

I remember when I was in High School having an assignment like this. We had to choose two complimentary colors (purple/yellow, blue/orange, red/green) and with black and white, paint something.

It was an interesting challenge. This is a cool drawing. I think I should try it, too.

Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

I might try it against with complementary colors--I was trying here for unused colors or more neglected colors.

But complementary would be fun too. I don't know about red and green though, unless it was seasonal.

Shayla said...

Great job, I love it! He looks intense. The colors and lines made for an intriguing piece.

Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

Thanks so much, Shayla! It's soemthing different--same subject, different take.

Leah said...

Oh, this is fantastic, Mary!! I love how you used neglected colors to create this portrait. It's very graphic and I'm really liking that about it. Looking forward to seeing what else you'll create with color in April!

Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

Thanks so much Leah! YAY! I had fun with this and can't wait to try more.